Sunday, August 01, 2010

Five dollars

Three weeks ago my elderly mother called needing tylenol. She didn't want the name brand "over priced stuff"...would I mind running up to Publix, getting a bottle of generic tylenol, and scooting over to her place?

Keep in mind that she has a nursing station one elevator below her that stocks tylenol. I figured she just wanted some company so I did as she asked.

Two weeks ago she called again, complaining that the "off brand" generic wasn't working. Would I run back to the store and pick up some extra strength tylenol? She was sure that would do the trick. Ever the dutiful daughter - I did as I was asked.

Last week my mother called - this time in tears - and said that the only kind of tylenol that she had ever used with any success was the liquid gel filled. She knew it was a bit much to ask...but could I run to the store and get her a bottle?

I am sure that at least a part of my mother feels that it is my fault she resides in an assisted living facility. Without me asking the doctor "unnecessary" questions like "Would you consider someone in my mother's condition able to live on her own safely?" then life would still be grand. She would still be out driving her Lincoln into mailboxes and trashcans getting her own damn tylenol. So some of the errands she asks of me seem to be just for the sake of making me run all over town. But hey, if it makes her happy...

Last week when she called I was about to have a friend over to study and wasn't in the mood to drop everything to help. I gently reminded her that she had two other kinds of tylenol and even VICODIN at her disposal. Yes I understood her sciatica was bothering her but I was busy.

I hung up the phone and the guilt came creeping up. How cold-hearted does one have to be to ignore a 78 year old woman crying?!

(sigh)

I called my study buddy and explained I had to cancel on her and run some errands. First stop was Publix where I got liquid gel filled tylenol, liquid gel filled advil (anticipating next week's call!) and some ointment. I go to the register and that's when I realized I had left my wallet at home. Luckily for me (or for my mother I guess) the cashier was a woman I had seen over the years out around town - our kids had gone to preschool together. And without me even ASKING she reached over the counter and swiped her debit card. "Just come by tomorrow and pay me back".

Sometimes I can't believe the kindness out there in the world :)

Next stop, my mother's. By this point it is pouring down rain and I run up to her room soaking wet. She is thrilled to see me and clapped her hands thanking me over and over. Her next sentence was "I guess you want money - or is this your treat?"

(SIGH)

I told her that YES she had to pay me back. The total was $35.

"All I have is two 20's - could I just give you one?"

The bickering went back and forth for a bit before she finally gave me the $40. And she ended up getting so mad that she won't return any of my calls. I suppose when she asked me to go downstairs and get her $5 in change I should have said HELL YEAH! rather than AREYOUFUCKINGSERIOUS?!?!

Maybe I should keep calling over and over again until she picks up and "forgives" me.

Or not.